Status of the demo instance

Hello everyone,

Maybe you have noticed that the demo instance got quite slow in the last time. We’re experiencing a huge increase in traffic.
We’re not completely sure what is uploaded but it looks like some bots are misusing the demo instance to distribute malware or other shady downloads.

As a first counter measurement we’ve disabled the anonymous creation of notes.

If you have important notes then please keep backups of your work! Just in case that we might be forced to reset the instance.

We’ll keep you updated.

Hello
Thank you for the advice; I try to save all my notes and after the first page of notes correctly saved, all notes on the second page returned me an error… and get back after. So: wait for the pages to display to save them, and it could take some time.

Thanks for noticing. Was their other change on the API ? I have a fetching pads service on demand, but it doesn’t work anymore. Do we need to be logged to download a pad ?

Unfortunately due to more abuse of the demo instance, we’re forced to temporarily shut down the instance.

We’ll keep you informed about any news in this forum thread.

I’ve just registered here with my GitHub account.
I’ve used the same GitHub account before in the demo instance to create several documents.
Is there a way to access these documents?

2 Likes

We are currently working on making that possible. But it’ll take a bit of time.

1 Like

damn, haven’t noticed that and didn’t backup my stuff…

Hi, yes, if we could be momentarily given access to the demo instance, that would be great. I have not backed up in 3 weeks.

We’re working on a solution to make existing notes backupable. Please be patient.

3 Likes

Hi how’s the Status right now?
any progress or still no hope?

To provide a bit of a timeframe: Assume that you won’t have any of the notes available until Monday.

With some luck we will be able to provide things earlier. But if we can’t find the time to sanitise things, it’ll take longer, but we’ll provide a statement on Monday if it takes longer.

2 Likes

The demo is back online, but with some restrictions.

1. The database will be wiped (at least) every 24h to prevent that the demo gets used as a share point for illegal content again. We don’t want to receive another DMCA takedown mail again.
  2. We had to wipe the database. The old content has been pushed over to demo-archive.hedgedoc.org. Please backup your data because we’re gonna delete the archive in 6 months. Also the creation of new notes in the archive is prohibited.
  3. No more E-Mail / OpenID (not openid connect) login. For now you must use a GitHub-Account. Maybe we’re gonna enable more login providers.
  4. The Cloudflare Bot Protection is activated and stays active. This will mostly impact automatic tools that use the “/download” route.
2 Likes

How to backup your previous notes

If you used an account on demo.hedgedoc.org to create your notes, your note history is stored in your account. Just login with your account at https://demo-archive.hedgedoc.org and download all notes that are relevant to you.

If you used the demo instance anonymously, your note history is stored in your browser. You need to export it and then import that on https://demo-archive.hedgedoc.org to regain the list of your notes. For exporting your local history you can use this page.

4 Likes

Hi, i’ve just done a cli script to download all my demo-hedgedoc-org pads.
If you want to use it, here it is :

And you can also download compressed binary for your platform.
Good backup to you !
And thanks to the Hedgedoc team for your marvelous pad system !

1 Like